Saturday, November 4, 2017

This Week on Windows: Microsoft Launcher, New Devices and More!


>> Hello and welcome to our slice of the internet everyone. Now this week, we're bringing you new devices, new features of the windows 10 for creators update, sure to delight our android user friends and we are celebrating Shocktober. >> So let's start things off with a look at one of the new Windows Mixed Reality headsets hitting the market soon. For that, we'll toss it to our newest correspondent, Greg. >> Thanks guys. I'm talking to Hassan from Samsung, about the new HMD Odyssey Windows Mixed Reality Headset. Tell me about this bad boy. >> We are really excited to be here, thanks for having us Greg. This is the ultimate Windows Mixed Reality Headset. When we set out to build this device along with Microsoft, we really thought about the ultimate device and with more sharper visuals superiority. So we've got a dual 3.5-inch amoled screens, what that really means is vibrant colors, life like experiences. And 110 degree field of use. So you can see more than ever. >> Nice, I know Samsung is known for your displays. This one also has built in headphones. Tell me about that. >> Yeah, it's got built in AKG headphones with 360 degrees spatial sound, so the sound is ahead of you, behind you, to the left, to the right, you can really feel like you are there. But my favorite feature actually is the setup. All you have to do is plug it into your PC and you are good to go. No need for external sensors. It's got inside out tracking, so it tracks your environment for you. You can even travel with the device. >> Nice, it uses that inside out tracking that we built for HoloLens initially and it makes no external sensors easy setup. When can we get our hands on this? >> You can actually pre-order the device now, by go to microsoft.com, samsung.com or any local Microsoft stores. It's available November six. >> Fantastic. Thanks very much. >> But the device news doesn't end there. New features were recently announced for Adobe Photoshop, enabling the use of Surface Dial. Now creators can streamline their workflow with custom Surface Dial and Surface Pen integration with this Photo Editor. >> Plus, for the next three months Adobe is offering its Adobe creative cloud photography plan with one terabyte of cloud storage for free with the purchase of any new service. >> To find out more about this and other device offerings, check out the windows blog. >> But wait, there's more. More device news that is. For more on what Lenovo has up their sleeves, we'll toss it to our devices guru Windows Blog editor-in-chief, Mollie Ruiz-Hopper. >> Thanks guys. This week I've got the new Lenovo yoga 920 convertible laptop. Weighing in at just three pounds, this Windows 10 PC is ultra portable, and in three different colors, ultra stylish as well. This PC also expands the power of Cortana. It can respond to voice commands for our favorite digital assistant from up to four meters away, even in standby mode. Now let's talk Windows Ink. With the new Lenovo yoga 920 and the Lenovo active pen 2, adding notes to maps, highlighting on webpages and drawing on photos with the new photos app is easy. Speaking of easy, check out the yoga's signature watchband hinge that allows you to quickly transition the device into laptop mode, or stand mode for presenting, tablet mode or tent mode for bingeing your favorite movies and TV. I love the way it feels in my bag and how fast you can change from mode to mode. Check out the windows blog for more and keep it right here as we show off devices like this one each week just in time for the holidays . >> Did you know that the Microsoft launcher app is now available for Android users? What is the Microsoft launcher app you might ask? That's what this guy here is going to tell us more about Ezra Park from the launcher team. Thank you so much for being here. >> Thanks for having me. So the Microsoft launcher is an app that anyone with an android phone can download on their phone. It allows you to personalize the look and feel of your phone, and stay productive and organized on the go. So one of the things that we've done, is we've allowed customers with an Android phone to really choose the look and feel of their device. >> Personalize your device. >> Right, right. And on all other phones, changing the wallpaper, that's pretty standard. So with the Microsoft launcher, what we allow customers to do is not only change the wallpaper on their phone, but also change the way that their icons look and feel. The way that their icons are organized. And so it lets you organize apps into folders, organize apps wherever you would like. >> It's another way to customize your Android experience. >> Right, right. And it lets you choose even things like theme and accent color and so it's really allowing our customers to express themselves through their phone. >> Fabulous. >> Yeah. So on a note of personalization, one of the other unique things that the Microsoft Launcher provides is a personalized feed. What we want to do is provide the customer feed of all the most important information that's important to them during their daily routines, things like calendar, things like your people that you contact with, your documents and things like that. And so what we've done is we provided this unique experience called The Feed. It's personalized to me, and so I've signed in with my work account but this also works with the Microsoft account as well. Where I can see all of my calendar appointments, I can see my daily news, so news topics that I'm interested in. I can choose the interests that I want and I can refresh this daily so I can get new stories every day. Also I have the people experience here. So, what we've done is we've organized the people that you contact most frequently on your phone. One of the cool things that we've done is we've allowed people to really be at your fingertips, literally. And so, what you can do is, once you start contacting your frequent contacts, they will start showing up here in what we call the people card. What you can do is simply press and hold on a contact, and you can drop them into your home screen, so that the next time you want to contact, and here I have Suzie on my home screen, I want to contact Susie, I can just one click her, and then choose however I want to contact her. So it really is people at your fingertips. One of the cool things that we've done also with the feed is we organize your photos and your documents in the feed with the latest fall creators update. What you're going to be able to do is link your phone to your PC, but not just that, you're going to be able to continue on PC. And so one of the examples that we've implemented in the Microsoft launcher is, we organize your photos into your gallery here. Once I take a photo on my phone, one of the problems today is I can't really get it to my PC to really do anything. >> Yeah, not easily, right? You kind of plug something in, you've got to sync it up, you've got so many. >> You've got to send it to yourself in an email. >> Yes. >> Exactly. >> Cumbersome. >> What we've done here is, after I take a photo on my phone, I can long press and hold on this photo, and I can press continue on PC, to have it show up instantly on the PC of my choosing. And so, if I've linked my PC to my phone, then I can simply choose one of my PCs, and it'll send it directly there, and it'll launch instantly on that PC and so it's probably already on right now. And then lastly, one of the things we also do is for the productivity work, we know that it's really important to be productive on the go. And so we have the Office apps available on android, you can edit documents on the go and also you can actually continue those on your PC as well. And so I'll look at a document here that I've been working on in the past hour. It's a one-note document, I'll just long press and hold on it, I'll continue on PC and then I can choose a PC that I want to start working and continue working on it. And so I'll choose it and then it'll launch directly on my PC again. >> Wow. Making life super fluid and relatively seamless. >> Exactly, exactly. And one of the things that we really want to do is not only create a great launcher product on android for people to personalize their phones and to stay productive on the go, but we also wanted to make a great companion to your Windows PC as well. >> Yeah. Fantastic. Well, Ezra thank you so much for taking us through. Where can people get their hands on it? >> You can go to the Google Play store and search for Microsoft launcher and you can find it and download it. >> Fantastic. Well, thank you for being here. >> Thank you. >> Well, it's time again to dress up and get the beans scare out of you with some truly, scary Window's store deals. Get your fright on with discounts on apps, games, movies and TV and music. But act fast. These spooktacular savings on entertainment won't last long. To unearth these savings, check out the window store. That's it for us this week, but make sure to keep it right here each and every week. I'm Chaitanya and I'm Kate and thanks for watching this week on Windows.  

No comments:

Post a Comment